Get Involved with Habitat Today
We are always looking for dependable dedicated volunteers. Come alone, with a friend, or in a group. No matter how you volunteer we will find a place for you!
There are many opportunities for volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Chicago South Suburbs. Most people think first of working on a house and that is indeed where a majority of volunteer hours are accumulated. However, we also need volunteers to work in the office, to help implement fund raising activities and to serve on one of the standing committees.
Click here to learn more about a committee.
If you are choosing to work at one of our jobsites here are some answers to frequently asked questions:
1. What’s are the hours? We start promptly at 9am and work until 3pm.
2. What do I need to bring? Please bring your lunch as we prefer you stay on the jobsite for the lunch break. We provide water and everything you’ll need to do the work. It’s a good idea to bring your own pencil and many people prefer to wear their own gloves and eye protection.
3. Do I have to work the entire day? No but we hope you will try. The most important thing is to be at the site at 9am as that’s when we provide our site safety lecture and make assignments.
HABITAT ReSTORE: Help us by working as a sales clerk or “behind-the-scenes” preparing donations for sale. The store is open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (10-6pm), Saturday (9-4pm) and Sunday (9-3pm). You can register to volunteer by clicking on the link at the top of the page or by simply calling 708-755-1840.
COMMITTEES: If you wish to help with any of the following committess, please click here to complete our online volunteer interest form.
FUND RAISING EVENTS – We always need help in organizing and implementing a fundraiser. Areas of opportunity include developing press releases, distributing flyers, selling tickets and selling product.
STANDING COMMITTEES – We are always looking for a new perspective. Please consider joining one of the following committees:
- Family Selection: Recruit and interview families who have made application to be a partner family with HFHCSS.
- Family Support: Guide and support our partner families through the sweat equity process, the title closing and the early phases of home ownership.
- Volunteer Relations: Contact and organize construction, administrative and committee volunteers.
- Public Relations: “Get the word out” about HFHCSS by working with local media in development and distribution of press releases.